GEEKERELLA || SPOILER FREE REVIEW
Look to the stars. Aim. Ignite.”
Hey my fellow book-lovers. Today, we are review a book called Geekerella (no spoilers of course).
Author: Ashley Poston
Published: 4 April 2017
No. of pages: 320
Geekerella is a modern day retelling of the Cinderella story, with a geek and fandoms twist. So, if you are a nerdy geek or you are into fandoms (which I believe most of us are lol), then you’d definitely love this book.
The story follows a main character, Elle, who has lost both her parents. When her parents were still alive, they had this obsession with a TV show called “Starfield”. Elle was introduced to the show at an early age. Out of this obsession, her father created this convention called “ExelsiCon”, which takes place yearly and is mostly about Starfield fans. Elle now lives with her stepmother and twin stepsisters. She is treated very badly. Just like her father, Elle is obsessed with Starfield and blogs about it.
At the beginning of the book, Starfield is being re-filmed into a movie and they are about to announce the lead character. Elle is not a fan of the lead character Darien and that is where the story unfolds.
- The story is told in 2 perspectives; Elle’s and Darien’s perspective. This made it easier for the writer to portray character development. We get to invest in the characters even more, which was executed perfectly for me.
- I really enjoyed the representation of the characters, even the supporting characters were fantastic.
- My favourite of part was the aspect of combining a Cinderella story with fandoms. It was a beautiful twist towards the ordinary story.
- I really loved the development of friendships and relationships in the story.
- Overall, it was a good book, funny and a little bit cheesy which is expected from a Cinderella story of course.
If you’ve read this book, please let me know your thoughts.
Until next time.