Hello book lovers!!
I am back today with another spoiler free review of a book “Year of Yes”. This book totally changed my life and I would highly recommend you guys to read it.
Author: Shonda Rhimes
Published: November 10, 2015
Fear holds us back from the things we want to do and we end up saying no to things because of fear. When we say no to opportunities, our world becomes smaller and smaller. In this book we follow the story of Shonda Rhimes as she embarks on a journey of saying yes to the things that terrified her. The mega-talented creator of Grey’s Anatomy and Scandal and executive producer of How to Get Away With Murder chronicles how saying YES for one year changed her life―and how it can change yours, too. This is really a fantastic book that is not entirely about saying yes to anything that comes your way. It’s a book about pushing through discomfort, do some of the things that are really worthwhile for your personal and professional development.
If you’re someone who often says NO to things just because of fear, then this book is for you. You’ll learn the power in doing things that are out of your comfort zone.
I loved that the book is fast paced, and hilarious at the same time. She’s the queen of one liner’s, the writing is the best and of course we would expect no less from a professional writer.
I loved the way she is so transparent, her willingness to share moments of vulnerability and insecurities. She lets us see her weaknesses which makes it easier to relate to some of the situations she addresses in this book.
I really enjoyed the moral of the story, the way we get to see her life and how she deals with situations that most people deal with, was just amazing. Facing fears is not easy, but when you start facing them the reward is amazing
This book changed my life with regards to the way I face my fears. I was a learning curve for me and below are some of the lessons I got from this book:
- Saying yes to things that scare you (NOT EVERYTHING) – things that would make you grow i.e. public speaking.
- Stop dreaming, instead do – we tend to dream a lot and end up not doing anything. An example for this might be when you’re a graduate and you haven’t found a job suitable for what you studied, get any job and start doing whilst you’re working towards your dream job.
- Be yourself – don’t spend a lot of time trying to look like someone else, just be you.
- It’s okay to shed negative people from your life – assess the people in your life.
- Say yes to playtime – It doesn’t require a lot of time. It can take 15 minutes i.e. pouring a glass of wine, taking your dog for a walk, playing with your kids etc.
“Happiness comes from living as you need to, as you want to. As your inner voice tells you to. Happiness comes from being who you actually are instead of who you think you are supposed to be.”
“I am not lucky. You know what I am? I am smart, I am talented, I take advantage of the opportunities that come my way and I work really, really hard. Don’t call me lucky. Call me a badass.”
“Dreams are lovely. But they are just dreams. Fleeting, ephemeral. Pretty. But dreams do not come true just because you dream them. It’s hard work that makes things happen. It’s hard work that creates change.”
I hope you guys got something from this review and I would highly recommend this book to everyone. The main question is:
What will you say yes to this year?
Please leave a comment below, if you’ve read this book or plan to.
Until next time!!!